as an organization:
The Voices of Angels is a 501c3 non profit dedicated to awakening the heart through Arts, Practices of Peace, Education and Community. We honor diversity, while working to create parity in our world. We provide access to academic resources in addition to bridging arts, peace building, purpose, leadership and service. In addition to holding public events, we do outreach work focused on creating opportunities for education and self development for the under-served.
Our domestic outreach is focused on supporting the internal growth of our nations incarcerated and institutionalized. Our international outreach is focused on providing African students access to educational resources. All our work provides opportunity for education and self development.
Shannon Frediani, co-founded The Voices of Angels in 2001. Since that time she has spearheaded:
Outreach for the incarcerated and institutionalized:
- In Santa Cruz county she’s been an advocate for local jail outreach inspiring dozens to volunteer in local jails (men’s, women’s, and youth) on a regular basis.
- In Monterey county jail she’s a regular volunteer in the men’s jail Wed afternoons leading a program since March of 2005 which has resulted in many former inmates returning to service work incorporating their life experiences and musical talents.
- In California- singing live and talking about the universal practices of peace in numerous facilities, for example from Chula Vista Veteran’s home, Atascadero State hospital, to men’s and women’s’ prisons throughout California i.e. Ironwood, Sierra Conservation Camp, Avenal and Chowchilla.
- Nationally-she has personally recorded 4 CDs of inspired music distributed nationally and internationally to hundreds of prisons, Veterans’ and state hospitals. These same facilities also receive an annual The Voices of Angels newsletter advocating the universal practices of peace thus touching the lives of tens of thousands of institutionalized.
- Thousands of recordings of spiritual and inspirational music (CDs and cassette’s) from other artists (graciously donated for distributing) have also been mailed by The Voices of Angels to these same facilities throughout the nation also impacting tens of thousands of people that are institutionalized.
- Sponsored and Facilitated the 3rd Annual International Conference on Interfaith Dialogue in Jos, Nigeria with NEEDCSI in Oct 2011. Met with community groups, Christian and Muslim women, students and young adults, was interviewed live on “Democracy Today” on combined service AM/FM Plateau Radio and Television Corp Jos (PRTVC.)
- Installed an digital library (eGranary with donated laptops) in Apurimac Onlus, vocational center Jos, in Oct 2011.
- Updated computer labs at Creative Minds Int’l Academy, Gov’t Science School Kuru (near Jos) and delivered scholarships to CMIA.
- Facilitated ‘Decalogue of Assisi for Peace’ Conference with NEEDCSI in June of 2010 in Jos, Nigeria.
- Installed an eGranary (digital library) and computer lab (with donated laptops) in Gov’t Science School Kuru near Jos in June 2010.
- Co-initiated a pilot program installing the first ever computer lab networked with a digital library at Creative Minds Int’l Academy, a high school in Jos, Nigeria in 2007. Organized and collected donated educational resources (textbooks etc…) and delivered to Jos, Nigeria in 2007.
- Taught values and discussed integrity issues with students while in Nigeria in 2007.
A recording artist on other CD projects by artists promoting peace, faith, interfaith respect and human rights:
- Cinema Verite’ Int’l Prod of recorded talk of Sr Helen Prejean (permission to use Shannon’s music ‘Call for Peace and Justice.’
- Back up Vocalist on Cyprian Consiglio’s CDs “Compassionate and Wise” and “Awake at Last.”
- Soloist of ‘Kyrie’ track on “Celtic Mass” CD by Stefan Andre Waligur.
- Initiated and co sponsors the annual 9/11 Inter faith Concert for Peace.
- Co sponsor and supporter of the New Year’s Eve Peace Vigil in Santa Cruz, CA.